CHM Student Wins 2019 Lansing's Got Talent Competition

A big congrats to College of Human Medicine (CHM) student and incredible singer, Enrique Rodriguez-Fhon, on winning the Lansing's Got Talent Competition this last spring! 

Having heard about the competition on social media, Enrique first had to get through the preliminary rounds before advancing to the finals. The competition was held over the course of several weeks and featured extremely talented musicians from all ages and backgrounds. Solo acts, duos, and full bands all performed for packed crowds at Reno's North Sports Bar and Grill. In a show of strong support for their classmate, fellow CHM students were among those in the audience.

With that in mind, Enrique gave the prelims his best shot with renditions of "Simple Man" by Lynyrd Skynyrd and "Somebody to Love" by Queen. To his pleasant surprise, Enrique placed first on his night--those among the top in preliminary rounds were invited to the finals. His invitation to perform for the top spot was official.
 
"As finals night arrived, I had been mentally and physically preparing all day. I was nervous," he said. "I was going to compete against all the other winners from the other preliminary nights. There were 16 of us in total and we all got to perform only one song."

Once it was his turn, all the anxiety melted away as Enrique proceeded to sing his heart out. Ultimately, the incoming third-year medical school student took home the crown, winning huge bragging rights across mid-Michigan as well as a new Washburn Guitar from Marshall Music Co.

"The judges started tallying the points and they started announcing the top seven. I was in disbelief once we reached the top three and my name had not been called yet," he remembers. "There were extraordinary singers and an extremely talented band that placed within the top five. Finally, they announced my name as the winner and I was just shocked! I couldn’t believe that I had actually won!"


For many, it wasn't a surprise. Before arriving at the College of Human Medicine, the Florida-native was part of a band back home. While he had been singing and playing the guitar for years, it wasn't until college that he started playing professionally for some extra cash. But, as he puts it, applying to medical school was a tad bittersweet. 

"The news that I got accepted to CHM was some of the greatest I'd received. However, that meant I had to put my musical aspirations on hold."

Enrique felt it was important to get settled in and focus on academics as a student at the Lansing Community Campus before indulging in any hobbies. 

"The first year of medical school was a big transition period for me. Having to move from the south to the Midwest, getting used to a whole new schedule, and getting to know my surroundings in this new town was a bit overwhelming. 

"Eventually, I felt like I had a bit more control again. I was now just trying to become better at the things that I had learned over the year. That’s when I felt comfortable enough to get out of my comfort zone and reach out to the musical community in Lansing."

Many potential medical school applicants believe that there isn't time outside of training to pursue personal hobbies or other ambitions.  

The key is balance upon transition to medical school. Some physicians believe that hobbies outside of medicine are an important part of identity. Beyond identity, continuing hobbies and interests in any given free time is vital to helping prevent burnout. Especially now in the Shared Discovery Curriculum, CHM students have a variety of opportunities to customize experience and self-pace. Strong studying and time management habits are vital to success in med school.

Sure, finding the time to balance out a schedule can mean putting in a little extra effort. But for Enrique, taking to the music scene in Lansing was well worth it.

"Since winning the competition, all the musicians in the area know my name and are happy to see me, sometimes asking me to sing or play a song with them...This is an experience I will never forget and I'll keep making music in the area for as long as I can."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

After Another Strong Match Day, CHM Seniors Set to Take On Residency Positions Throughout the Nation

So You've Been Put On The Waitlist: What's Next?

New Situational Judgement Testing Requirements for the 2023 Cycle: Additional Options and Recommendations