Friday, May 15, 2015

CHM Graduates Moving On To Residencies Across the Country

After fourth-year College of Human Medicine (CHM) students enjoy their commencement ceremony with friends and family this weekend, the Class of 2015 will also be eyeing the next step and first as official physiciansresidency.

This past March, 178 soon-to-be Spartan MD's had their residency placements confirmed. As usual, the 2015 Match season was one of great pride and joy.

Approximately 34% of the seniors will remain in Michigan for their graduate medical education. The remaining 66% of students will be training in many other states across the Northeast, Southeast, Midwest and West regions at some of the most competitive residency programs in the nation.

New Spartan MD's will be moving on to serve patients all across Michigan in both urban and rural communities. Beyond state lines, graduates will be headed to many of the nation's major cities like Detroit, Chicago, Indianapolis, Boston, New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Houston, Phoenix, Atlanta, San Diego, Denver, and even outside the country in Toronto.

As for specialties, 45% of the 2015 class will be entering primary care. The top seven specialty placements were:
  1. Family Medicine (27 graduates) 
  2. Internal Medicine (25 graduates) 
  3. Pediatrics (21 graduates) 
  4. Obstetrics-Gynecology (17 graduates) 
  5. Emergency Medicine (15 graduates) 
  6. General Surgery (14 graduates)
  7. Anesthesiology (12 graduates)
Overall, 96.2% of the CHM seniors secured a residency placement through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). Following the match, four more students post-matched into residencies and 11 students received appointments outside of the NRMP, which can include military matches.

The students had very exciting Match Day celebrations. In fact, this Match Day was special in that 25 students were among the first to celebrate Match Day with their families at our new facility in Flint, which opened just this past fall.

Wherever they go, we know CHM graduates will be great contributors to the communities they enter. Congrats and good luck to the Class of 2015!